HULLO DECEMBER!! NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN! IT’S BEEN TOO LONG!
(actually kidding, am I the only one that feels like this year has actually soared by?! And call me crazy… but it doesn’t even feel like christmas cause it feels like we should be in October right now…. this. is. maddddddnessss.)
There are many a things this Christmas loving kid IS SO EXCITED FOR THIS MONTH!:
(pre-note: there will be many capitals this post due to elevated levels of happiness due to christmas fever)
– fairy lights… SO MANY FAIRY LIGHTS = cozy & festive heaven
– buying a ridiculous 3D knit to wear all day errey day with pride
– the impending promise of A WHOLE LOT OF CHRISTMAS FOOD (hullo roasts, gingerbread… and a tone of hot chocolate – but let’s be honest, I have that all year round)
– and pretty much being all cozy, christmasy and cute and crossing every finger that we might get a white chrismtas… gal can dream…
It’s funny, this time of the year, I have serious problems maintaining any level of normality and having a ‘cool & calm’ air about me. FORGET IT, SANTA IS COMING.
… Hence… baking a cake the other day and being way to overally keen to photograph and EAT it that I put the cream on early…. and… well… it melted all over the cake…
BUT HEY! Sort of took on the vibe of a creamy cake… which my tastebuds really didn’t mind at all! Just an excuse to eat the whole cake quicker anyway… such. a. pity.
Anyway, so the cake I am talking about, IS in fact the cake pictured, hence only 2, not as nice pics, BUT it was so mega scrummmy and yummy in my tummy that I just wanted to share it with you anyway.
HEY HO, JUST ROLLIN’ WITH THE PUNCHES THESE DAYS CAUSE CHRISTMAS IS IN 24 SLEEPS.
STAY JOLLY LIKE OUR GOOD FRIEND SANTA.
Ahh. Someone stop me.
This cake is mega super duper easy with the simple melt and stir method (no mixer required) and has that toasted hazelnut flavour we love with a subtle chocolate flavour hit, a burst of pomegranate and creaminess.. well obviously from the cream 😛
It’s got a flourless cake sorta vibe (it almost is flourless actually) and is super moist … and surprisingly easy to consume lots off…
The cake has no raising agents, so depending on the tin you cook it in, it will of course, be flatter than other cakes your used to, but makes it perfect for joozing up with cream, pomegranates and more toasted hazelnuts. It would even be perfect for a multiple layered cake!
135g salted butter
20g cocoa powder
350g granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
90g ground toasted hazelnuts
50g plain flour
icing sugar for dusting
200g double cream
1/2 pomegranate worth of seeds
toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line, grease and flour an 18cm springform tin.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then remove from the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20-30 minutes – it should be set around the edges but still gooey in the middle.
3. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for around 20 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge to loosen the cake and carefully remove from the tin. While the cake is cooling whip the cream.
4. To serve, dust the cake with icing sugar and top with cream, pomegranates and remaining hazelnuts.