Hello! Howdy! Ciao! Bonjour!
(and all the other greetings you can imagine)
So, it’s been a while… and I humbly offer you hundreds of apologies and a humble plate of these patties. (Hundreds of them too).
Life has been of the ‘crazy busy’ category, and yeah I pretty much splashed these bad boys on instagram, promising a recipe, and have regretfully never delivered.
But a good couple of days later – it’s here!
So pretty much, so I don’t sound like I use ‘busy’ as an excuse, I’ve been in the process of moving flats and jobs, amongst many other mini jobs and all that palaver (that you probably really don’t care about… by the way, the word ‘palaver’ I feel like I’ve heard the word 100 times from different people in the last few days… so i’m going to use it now. And again, palaver.)
But fun news – I’m working as a baker at a gorgeous cafe in East London! It’s pretty swell! (understatement of the year)
Anways! Onto these patties, because they are far more interesting then any other palaver I have to say (there I go again!).
These are the love child of cauliflower rice and roasted sweet potato (and a decent dash of quinoa for good measure).
They’re light and fresh to eat (perfect for Spring! (minus today’s rain)), breakfast and lunch friendly (and no judgement in having them for dinner… totally went there), jam packed full of all the vegetable goodness, with the added heat and smokiness from the paprika. If I had chorizo lying around in my fridge, that definitely would’ve joined the patty party.
Sitting here about to plan the weeks shop… I know exactly what I’m going for… (sweet potatoes and cauliflower come at me).
CAULIFLOWER, QUINOA & SWEET POTATO PATTIES WITH AVOCADO & PAPRIKA YOGHURT
makes 8 – 12
4 medium sweet potatoes (chopped into wedges)
5 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for frying)
salt & pepper
1/2 cup quinoa
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cauliflower, grated
2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
80g plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp lemon juice
avocado & rocket to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the sweet potatoes (cutting into wedges purely saves on roasting time, cut to size depending on how time pressured you are) and toss in 2 tbsp olive oil and seasoning. Roast for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, cook your quinoa according to the packet instructions (ratio of quinoa to water is 1:2, so 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water).
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook the garlic for a minute, then add the cauliflower and stir regularly as it cooks until it turns slightly golden.
4. Mash the roasted sweet potato with the back of a fork and stir in the cauliflower, parsley, cayenne, flour and egg. Shape the mixture into patties.
5. Heat remaining olive oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Cook the patties in batches until they’re lightly golden and crispy on either side (adding more oil to the pan if the patties start to stick).
6. To make the yoghurt, simply combine yoghurt, paprika and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
7. Serve patties on a salad bed, with avocado, yoghurt and a garnish of parsley.
Thanks for stopping by!