For every meal time that excitedly whips around, we generally know exactly what that growling stomach is craving, (wether or not the fridge has the goods to deliver is another question). Then there is those times when your after something… but can’t quite put your finger on it. You know the feels: you go to the pantry multiple times, then stand there with the fridge door wide open just staring into it’s cold depths hoping your next meal is going to yell its where abouts to you. But alas, amongst one of these tough frustrations of a first world life, we must prevail… and turn to the next best thing… hummus. Only kidding. But seriously. If in doubt: hummus (but a whole story on that for the next post & recipe).
Here we are still staring in the fridge! But this time it’s not something for dinner we’re searching for, but in fact our answers for the lack of baked goods in the cookie jar. So naturally, you can imagine my happiness the next day to wake up immediately craving lemon. Aha. An answer has been found. The fridge staring was over. Now to elaborate. (ah, more fridge staring again).
Conclusion: presence of blueberries in the freezer and after something to accompany my afternoon binge watch of Game of Thrones (hello current addiction). Tea cake, crumble = Lemon & Blueberry Crumble Cake. Success! The fridge staring days are done…. for now…..
to be continued……
But not really, because I’m about to go and attempt a sunday night fridge raid, wish me luck!
Another apology for the lack of posts after promises of recipes on instagram! Stuff is happening and I will fill you in in due course, stayed tuned groovy guys!
LEMON & BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE CAKE
100g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
zest 2 lemons
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1 lemon
240g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
120ml whole milk
350g frozen or fresh blueberries
60g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
100g light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, and grease and line a 9 inch round cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric beater, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg until well combined, followed by the vanilla and the lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, then beat into the butter mixture until just combined.
3. Fold in the milk, followed by the blueberries.
4. To make the crumble, using your hands, rub together the butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger, then lastly add the pecans.
5. Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, then evenly sprinkle over the crumble. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Dust with icing sugar and serve as is, or alongside some well-deserved floral tea. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!